If life gives you lemons...
...I make vegan lemon curd!
Not just any lemon curd though, this one is dairy free, egg free, vegan and delicious! This 'curd' is super zesty, tangy yet sweet and is just the taste of summer when layered in a lemon cake.
I use this lemon curd in my lemon and elderflower or lemon and poppy seed wedding cakes and also adapt it for lime curd for my coconut and lime cake.
I wanted to share my vegan lemon curd recipe for you to try and its fairly simple and easy to make too. I always store it in a recycled glass jar (just sterilize with boiling water) and store the lemon curd in the fridge. I am not 100% sure on the shelf life as I make everything fresh weekly.
85ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
150g caster sugar
25g corn flour
half the zest of one unwaxed lemon
2 tablespoons of Oatly dairy free cream
1/2 table spoon of dairy free butter
- Add your freshly squeezed lemon juice, water and caster sugar to a jug and blend with a hand blender so its pale and foamy.
- Use a small amount of your mixture to mix in with your corn flour in a small pan and stir well to make a smooth non-lumpy paste.
- Add the rest of the mix into a saucepan and heat on a medium heat.
- You need to stir constantly and your lemon curd will become thick and glossy. It will quickly change in just a few mins so do not leave it!
- Continue heating/stirring the glossy thick lemon curd for 1 minute, remove from the heat and add your dairy free butter, oatly cream and fresh lemon zest and stir well.
You will find it will thicken a lot in the fridge so perfect for filling vegan cakes or just spreading on your toast! After a day or so the water content can separate a little so before using give the curd a good stir and whip it up :) You can see how light and creamy it then becomes in the last photo below.
If you fancy a lime curd version this recipe is easily adapted too using lime juice and equally as delicious.
Love Lucie xx